Any technique that calms you down, such as yoga, deep breathing, creative visualisation, meditation, taking a warm bath, just to name a few, addresses that part of our nervous system that promotes calm and busts stress. These techniques are self-applied .
Relaxation or Swedish massage also addresses the nervous system that promotes calm and busts stress. The difference is that when receiving a relaxation massage it is applied to you. All you need to do is lie back and enjoy the session.
The massage relaxation technique consists of five strokes applied with light to medium (or firm if preferred) pressure. Relaxation massage incorporates five Swedish massage strokes; gliding long sweeping strokes, kneading, rhythmic tapping, friction, and vibration/shaking of the muscle tissue. All strokes are applied directly to the body.
Swedish massage benefits
Provides general stress relief
- Relaxes tense muscles
- Improves circulation and nutrition of tissues
- Generally relaxing
Promotes Healthy Skin
- Nourishes and promotes healthy skin by improving skin-secretion to lubricate the skin; encouraging surface circulation, thus improving skin condition and texture.
- Improves skin flexibility and elasticity and loosens scar tissue to maintain healthy skin mobility.
- Relaxes the fascia, decreasing tension and if performed on the scalp some forms of headaches
Maintains general health
- Improves circulation of blood and lymph.
- Relaxes muscles and improves joint mobility.
- Improves functioning of the immune system.
- Hastens elimination of harmful particles / toxins through improved blood and lymph circulation.
Promotes healthy muscles
- Supports better muscle activity through increased circulation of nutrients and removal of waste products
- Relieves restricted motion due to muscle tightness, stiffness and spasms.
- Can relieve pain by relaxing muscles and other tight tissues that may entrap a nerve
Aids the digestive system
- Encourages digestion through a gentle stomach massage if required
- Relaxation encourages the nervous system that stimulates digestion
Treats problem conditions
- Eases muscular tension and aches
- Alleviates tension headaches
- Eases muscular back pain
- Addresses oedema through improved circulation
- Relaxes stress and anxiety
- Assists clearing blocked sinuses
What to expect
Allow an extra 10 minutes if this is your first massage session because it commences with taking a health-history. This includes detailed questions about your physical condition in order to maximise the effectiveness and safety of the session. You will be massaged lying down surrounded by a warm comfortable atmosphere surrounded by soothing aromatic scents and pleasant music. Expect a peaceful, relaxing experience.
Oil is used to aid the massage process. If you have a strong personal preference against the use of natural oils, lotions can be used. During the massage you will be regularly asked for feedback on the pressure that is applied so that it stays at your level of comfort and need. Pressure varies from light gentle touch to firm touch.
The outcome of a relaxation massage is a relaxed and calm person.